WebSocket4Net with MonoTouch iPhone - 3G Connection

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Hi,

I have built WebSocket4Net with MonoTouch, awesome !!

I have created a simple socket server using socket.io and have it hosted on nodejitsu.

I've also built SocketIo4Net with MT and it's all working great with WebSocket4Net.

When I run my iphone App over Wifi it connects to the the socket server perfectly and works great.

..But if I turn off the Wifi and use my 3G connection nothing happens - I don't even get an error message.

On the server I get the following,

[04/12 22:11:13 EST] warn: websocket connection invalid
[04/12 22:11:13 EST] info: transport end (undefined)

Is there any info you can give about web sockets over 3G ??

Hopefully you can help, thanks anyway if you can't. Mark.
Coordinator
Apr 13, 2013 at 3:49 AM
Do you mean your web socket client cannot access the web socket server through the 3G connection but it's ok through wifi?
Apr 13, 2013 at 5:48 AM
Yep that's exactly right!

It is strange. I've spent a lot of time trying to research the issue.

I just want to know if anyone has had success connection of WebSocket4Net over a 3G connection. Perhaps I'm pushing the envelope.

One thing I found was that maybe my Mobile ISPs proxies are screwing up the web socket data packets?

Also I've read that web socket connections should fall back to XHR Polling if the connection is bad?
I tried setting up my socket.io server to just use XHR Polling only - but then everything stopped working.

These are my current socket server transports,

io.set('transports', [ 'websocket', 'flashsocket', 'htmlfile', 'xhr-polling', 'jsonp-polling' ]);
io.set("polling duration", 10);