SuperWebSocket cannot support wss yet

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I tried to create a WebSocket with wss

this.WebSocket = new WebSocket("wss://test.com/");

And, I got an exception saying SuperWebSocket cannot support wss yet.\r\nParameter name: uri".  But when I read the SuperWebSocket feature list, it says

Main features SuperWebSocket already has:

• SSL/TLS encryption transferring (wss) support

Should I download and use SuperWebSocket instead of WebSocket4Net?

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I looked the the WebSocket source code and it doesn't support wss.  Is there a plan to support wss In WebSocket4net?  Or I have to use the SuperWebSocket instead.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Hi, wss is supported in SuperWebSocket, but not in WebSocket4Net.

Because you called for this feature, I'll implement it ASAP.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Thank you.  I was going to add it myself but was worry about merging your new code.  I can't wait to see the new implementation for wss.  

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM

You'd better wait my implementation, you can get it around this weekend or the beginning of next week. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I will do that.  Thank you for your library and quick responses. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Awesome. Been waiting some time now for this to be implemented, finally :)

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Ok now, wss has been supported by WebSocket4Net, please download latest source code and then have a try.

BTW, this feature is not supported in Silverlight and Windows Phone version.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Thank you for adding the wss support.  It works great.  I have a question.  Is there a way to get what message that we received in the Opened event handler? 

Thanks.

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Do you mean handshake response? If so, it has not been supported yet...

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Do you have plan to add wss support for the Silverlight client? Without wss, the Silverlight client won't be very useful in the real world applications. What about the socket port restrictions in the Silverlight application?

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I agree with you, bit it is a difficult job.

You can use the ports which Silverlight allowed, and SuperWebSocket provides a built-in policy server.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM

That's true. I asked the same question in the Microsoft Build Conference last September and received the same answers from a few MS employees from their web platform team. MS is now putting much less resources on SL, compared to the HTML5/JS. We, like many other companies, already invested heavily on the SL technology. Can you think of any alternatives (like message level encryption), to secure the pipe between the server and the SL client using the Websocket?

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM

If the browser support websocket, you can use browser's native websocket to bridge the wss connection, oh encrypt by yourself.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I agree. That's probably the best practical solution for now, until the SSL is included in the future SL engine. The disadvantage is that the client SL app will have to use the browser's stack and require certain browsers. But I think the MS might not be able to ship the SL with the secure websocket support this year.

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I heard that there would be no more SL release in the future, so SL probably never have built-in TLS/SSL support. But I had ever seen business TLS/SSL Silverlight component.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I've heard that too, but I could not get it confirmed from any MS product managers. I think they lack the clear direction internally and also like to wait and see how the market reacts. Many of their internal developers do not know their road maps either.

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I would also love to see wss support in WebSocket4Net silverlight client.  Even some sort of roadmap / guidance on how to accomplish it would be good - are there any third party silverlight SSL libraries that we might be able to plug in to WebSocket4Net?

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2012 at 2:56 AM
I'd ever seen one library, but it's a comercial one.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 3/4/2012 3:50 AM
To: kerry-jiang@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: SuperWebSocket cannot support wss yet [websocket4net:299150]

I would also love to see wss support in WebSocket4Net silverlight client. Even some sort of roadmap / guidance on how to accomplish it would be good - are there any third party silverlight SSL libraries that we might be able to plug in to WebSocket4Net?

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Was there any progress made on this particular issue? Just having basic WSS would be great :)

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Do you mean .net we socket client? If so, it already has been supported. If you are asking about Silverlight, websocket4net doesn't have this feature yet.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 6/26/2012 10:43 PM
To: kerry-jiang@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: SuperWebSocket cannot support wss yet [websocket4net:299150]

Was there any progress made on this particular issue? Just having basic WSS would be great :)

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Thank you for the clarification ;) Strange though, that the author of Socketio4net is stating that there is no SSL / WSS support when it's a direct fork of your work..

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Hi Kerry,

Do you have any kind of ETA on WSS support for Windows Phone? I would love to help add the support myself but would need a little guidance getting it started.

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Do you have some good idea? I didn't implement wss in WP because the BCL of SL/WP doesn't provide the class SslStream.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I don't have any good idea unfortunately, however, given that they have announced that Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 share the same base platform, perhaps we can get lucky for WP8? Do you think you could use the following Windows 8 API to re-create the necessary SslStream functionality?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.networking.sockets.streamsocket.upgradetosslasync